Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Digital Scales, Recalibration?

"RogerN" wrote in message

So far I'm leaning toward something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1DVPD9Q368DLM

I figure I can make a link with the same dimensions hole to hole as
the scale. This way I can use the scale to tension the lines, mark
the turnbuckles, loosen, replace scale with metal link, and adjust
turnbuckles to bring the tension back. I figure the scale will
stretch a little under the tension, if needed I can measure scale
hole to hole with 170 lbs tension. I like that design of scale
because I should be able to use couplers with pins that will fit the
scale....
RogerN

Good catch! It looks considerably more compact and durable than the
discontinued HF 440 Lb Big Game Scale.

You could make a simple comparison gauge that measures cable
deflection between pins with a fishing scale and tighten the
turnbuckle to the same reading. It would be like checking engine belt
tension by thumb pressure deflection or how far it will twist, unable
to measure the force but adequate to set it close enough to the
correct value.

In practice I've found that the forces I want to measure around the
house range from 500 Lbs to a max of ~3000 Lbs, for logging and
pulling stumps. It's difficult to apply more than 3000 Lbs with
equipment made from lumber yard and hardware store materials and I can
buy higher-rated chains and tow straps or call a wrecker for stuck
vehicles.

3000 to 3500 lbs seems to be enough to move the base of a large (24")
oak that caught in another one as it fell. I've pulled down two that
blew down during storms behind neighbor's houses. Both were straight
enough to saw into lumber so I pulled them down intact.

jsw