Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What's the current standard for Gas Detection and Confined Space entry?

Not sure if they are "certified", but some heatinig and AC supply houses
have gas leak detectors for hydrocarbons. I got a used TPI from Ebay, which
works fine. Runs on D cells.

ChristopherNOSPAM A. YoungINVALID
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"BruceNOSPAM L. BergmanINVALID (munged human readable)"
wrote in message
news I really should get my own gas detector for pump pits, I occasionally
have to go into the big ones. At GTE (Verizon) we just had MSA
Explosimeter 2 or 2A LEL detectors before you popped a manhole, and
Draeger tubes if you suspected other nasties were down there, but time
has marched on.

And I can't just check a form and have a box of nifty things magically
appear behind my truck the next morning for free anymore. (Darn!)

As of now, all I can do is sniff for flammables, pop the hole, drop in
the manhole blower hose, and ventilate thoroughly before going down,
but I really should get something - and without spending $5,000.

Is a good old (and still fairly cheap used - $800 - $1800 for NOS??)
MSA 2A Explosimeter still "enough" to pop the lid? Or do you have to
get one of the electronic detector and aspiration sample kits that
cost a bloody fortune.

One of the Pocket style Multi-Gas detectors sounds good for once
you're inside, but real world comments from the Plant Managers and
such among us would be appreciated. Especially things like "It failed
after 1 year and two days, and when I asked about the warranty they
told me to Pound Sand..." or "The sensor replacements every 4 years
costs more than the whole unit - and the battery pack is almost as
bad..."

-- Bruce --