Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Vertical Mill - $300 Craigslist

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

On 2012-02-24, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

There are some simple flat gears, like used in their signal
generators to drive the variable capacitors. someone on the antique
radio newsgroup is looking for a gear for the HP 606.

Hmm ... probably I would have to purchase more gear cutters.
They tend to be rather expensive these days, and I had to purchase one
for the Tek gears. 32 DP, 20 degree PA of the proper size for a 20
tooth gear. This can add up if I have to keep buying those.

Only you could decide if it was worth it, but I would think they
would be a lot of similar gears that would use the same tooling. They
built whiole series of equipment on similar chassis, after all. You
could look at some of the manuals on the Agilent website to get an idea
what they look like, if you're really interested. Agileent is the name
of the former HP test equipment division, for those who don't know. The
site is broken into chemical and test equipment.

The photos/drawings would show me what they *look* like, but
they likely would not show the diametric pitch nor the pressure angle.
(And they might be "module" (metric) gears as well.)

I know that. What I meant was that you could see what styles you
could do.

As for the manual for the Tek plugin, it only showed the
assembly with the gears as an outline drawing of gearbox (covered),
Veeder-Root counter, switch and 10-turn pot as a complete assembly. No
drawing of what the gears even looked like under the covers.

At one time Tektronix would provide engineering drawings for obsolete
parts. There was a guy in Orlando making HV transformers for the tube &
hybrid scopes about 15 years ago. He requested the drawings and
suppliers for the core & bobbins and built a winding machine.

And yes, I know that Aligent took over the HP test equipment
line.

That wasn't aimed at you. It was for someone who might be lurking, or
who might stumble across the tread later on.

I couldn't afford to take that as vacation. I never had that
much saved up at a time. :-)

I only had a week or two each year, and I made it a condition of
employment that I could get that week off, every year.

I worked for a US Army R&D lab, and they did not accept such
conditions -- especially since I did not even know about that hamfest
when I hired on with them. :-)

I worked for mostly small companies back then, and one place the
owner was a ham so he knew the reasons.

I considered that I was enough ahead of the game vs the GIs in
that if the rules got to be too much of a problem, I could quit and go
to work for industry instead. That made enough difference so I stuck it
out until retirement. :-)

I stuck out the US Army till my commitment ended.

I did turn down a civil service job in LA (Lower Alabama) that was
offered while I was stationed there.