Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default First car recommendations?

In article ,
tony sayer writes:
In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice scribeth thus
On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 23:32:44 +0000, gremlin_95 wrote:

About the box fitted to the car, my instructor was telling me it can be
cheaper but if I was to drive after 000 - 0500* I could get a fine,
there are also other limitations.

That's why a said "look at", ie. read the small print.

Strikes me as a bit harsh to be fined for using the car between
midnight and 0500, an adjustment to the premium, if regular, I could
understand but not for a single "out of pattern" use in that period.

I have been told that limitation applies to some young driver polices. I
can only suppose that a young lad out at night at weekends with his
mates in the motah is a larger risk that most all other times...

However with that limitation it did make quite some difference to the
premium charged which in practice is prolly the largest cost for the
younger driver these days..

There's another one which was discussed on the radio a week or
so back. They use the analogy of a fuel tank, but you fill it
with insurance premium payment instead. The black box monitors
driving style, distance, etc, and drains the insurance premium
tank at an appropriate rate. It also gives some semi-instant
feedback so you know what's expensive, and more detailed
feedback on their website. You have to top up the insurance
premium fuel tank as it runs out. I guess it might stop you
from starting the car if it completely runs out, but that
wasn't stated, or maybe it auto-tops up by direct debit.

--
Andrew Gabriel