Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default First car recommendations?

In article ,
Huge writes:
On 2012-02-24, Dave Liquorice wrote:

(*) Don't start me on pensions. I know that a pension is in the far
far distant future but money shoved in now can grow for 40+ years. If
there is still a state retirement age (or indeed a state pension) by
the time you get there it may well be 70 or 75, that's well over 50+
years... If you can afford £10/month now (the cost of just a few
pints) it will be money well used. Get advice from an *independant*
Financial Advisor as to the best place to put it. I don't know if a
pension fund or a stocks and shares ISA both with a
"cautious/balanced" spread of investments would be best. With the ISA
you can still get at the funds, not so easy to get at the money in a
pension fund, nothing to stop you moving money from an ISA to a
pension in 10 - 20 years time.

Hear, hear. Start sooner. Save more.

I recall working out many years ago that for each 7 years delay
in starting to contribute to your pension, you need to double
your contributions for the rest of your career to make up that
loss. Mind you, that was when pension funds were doing better
than they now are.

--
Andrew Gabriel