Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default First car recommendations?

charles wrote:
In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
Jim K wrote:
On Feb 23, 11:33 pm, Nightjar
wrote:
On 23/02/2012 22:49, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 21:48:33 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel
wrote:

If you're under 25, I would start by looking for insurance
you can afford. That might be as far as you get.

WHS. Putting two and two togther (gremlin_95&
apprenticeship) we might be looking at a 17 year old. Half
saw on the telly the other night possibly Superscrimpers that
if a youngster adds an older person as a named driver to
their insurance the premium drops.

That requires that the named driver is a regular user of the
car. If not, it is misrepresentation of material details, which
will invalidate the insurance.

Colin Bignell

really? so what of people who name their spouses on each others
policies for emergency/holiday/car servicing use but hardly ever
drive them? their insurances are invalid?? nah shurely not...

When my wife left me I kept her as a named driver on my policy for
several years as it made my insurance cheaper.

exactly the opposite here. when I took my wife's name off my policy
and made it for myself only, I got a significant saving. (She'd
never driven the car in 9 years, since she drives an auto and I have
a manual)

I was gobsmacked when putting her on my policy made it cheaper in the first
place!

I thought that putting an 18 year old non UK citizen with only a provisional
license on my policy would actually cost me more.

And for the record, that is the ONLY time she saved me any money.

--
Adam