Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Joining motorways

In message , Tinkerer
writes

"Hugh - Was Invisible" wrote in message
newsp.v9zjiiu8gtk8fg@admin-pc...
On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 15:52:19 -0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 15:39:45 on
Mon, 20 Feb 2012, GB remarked:
Actually, I was talking about my own experiences. I just don't see what
you
do if the guys in the nearside lane are nose to tail at 70 mph, other
than
decelerate gently in the hard shoulder. I wish that you experts would
come
up with a solution.

The experts will say that at 70mph in the nearside lane, the vehicles
will be further apart than the length of your vehicle.

Meanwhile, back in the real world...

Can't say I've ever had a problem with motorway slip roads. Use the M25
and M11 regularly and used to use the M1 daily.

There used to be a very short and dangerous slip on to the south-west
bound A12 from Witham south. It was recognised as a major problem and has
now been completely changed.

The most dangerous times I find on motorways are when the non-motorway
users are on them. I rate the M25 much safer in foul conditions than the
M4/M5 on holiday weekends when there always seem to be serious accidents

Is that M25 and then M11 northbound? I ask because M25 clockwise to M11
southbound the slip road winds up into one of the most dangerous bends I
have come across and I have driven over most of the motorways, The other
oddly designed one is M40 North to M42 North where the slip road dumps you
into the fast lane. I have seen a few near misses there.

But the lanes don't 'join' - certainly not in the way a sliproad joins
the main carriageway. Where they merge, both motorways are two lanes,
and the ongoing M42N becomes four. Any accident would only be caused by
someone playing sillybuggers, and deliberately changing lane where it
was obvious that they shouldn't.

In Google Earth, fly to:
52°21'5.42"N, 1°48'27.20"W
(just copy and paste).

In the mid 2000s, I used to drive that route most days for about five
years, at around 8:30am. I can't recall any undue problems because of
the way the motorways merged.
--
Ian