Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes Mike Barnes is offline

Default Joining motorways

Terry Casey :
In article ,
says...

Google Earth this
52°31'48.09" N 1°43'45.23" W
A pathetic piece of motorway design on the M42. The right of the fork
goes to the M6 toll - the left "middle" continues the M42 East and the
extreme LHS goes god know's where.

As is clearly marked in several places - including Google Earth - the
two left hand lanes go to the M42 which, with the left "middle" makes
four lanes for the M42

I have lost count of the number of
cars swerving right to left due to this fork in the middle of a
motorway! It is very dangerious. A lage sigbn could be placed at the
actual point of the split but that would make it safer. It looks as if
it has been designed this way to ensure that as many motorists as
possible mistakenly take the right fork and end up having to pay the
toll. Try this at night - better still, at night in the fog.

I would suggest that you surrender your licence to the DVLA until your
eyesight improves.

You might then be able to see the bloody great blue signs guiding you
onto the left hand lanes well in advance of the junction, thus ensuring
that you are well clear of the other idiots on the road

Apart from lane markings at various points beforehand, there are several
other clear signs well in advance of the junction - such as these:

http://g.co/maps/k3vj5

and

http://g.co/maps/mvfch

I have never driven on this stretch of road but there seems to be plenty
of evidence from the website that you directed us to to suggest that you
haven't a clue ...

I *have* driven this stretch of road on many occasions and I have
sympathy with both points of view. What's missing from this analysis is
the fact that when the road's busy you have to devote 90% of your
attention to getting out of the way of all the kamikaze lane-switchers
jostling for position. That leaves just 10%, when sod's law says there's
no informative sign visible.

I usually take the left lane to god-knows-where. It splits off from the
other lanes and then rejoins, then splits off again. Experienced locals
know this and cut in during the very short rejoined section.

--
Mike Barnes