Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Robinson Steve Robinson is offline

Default Joining motorways

Tinkerer wrote:

"Hugh - Was Invisible" wrote in message
newsp.v9zjiiu8gtk8fg@admin-pc... On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 15:52:19
-0000, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 15:39:45

on Mon, 20 Feb 2012, GB remarked:
Actually, I was talking about my own experiences. I just
don't see what you do if the guys in the nearside lane are
nose to tail at 70 mph, other than decelerate gently in the
hard shoulder. I wish that you experts would come up with a
solution.

The experts will say that at 70mph in the nearside lane, the
vehicles will be further apart than the length of your vehicle.

Meanwhile, back in the real world...

Can't say I've ever had a problem with motorway slip roads. Use
the M25 and M11 regularly and used to use the M1 daily.

There used to be a very short and dangerous slip on to the
south-west bound A12 from Witham south. It was recognised as a
major problem and has now been completely changed.

The most dangerous times I find on motorways are when the
non-motorway users are on them. I rate the M25 much safer in
foul conditions than the M4/M5 on holiday weekends when there
always seem to be serious accidents

Is that M25 and then M11 northbound? I ask because M25 clockwise
to M11 southbound the slip road winds up into one of the most
dangerous bends I have come across and I have driven over most of
the motorways, The other oddly designed one is M40 North to M42
North where the slip road dumps you into the fast lane. I have
seen a few near misses there.

Junction 15 M6 very short hard right hand bend