Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman Kurt Ullman is offline

Default OT - Mo' free government Benefits

In article , Dan Espen
wrote:

Which alternative universe do you live in. In this instance, the rules
and regs are largely in addition to the state rules.

I didn't say anything insulting to you did I?

Nah. Over shot the response, sorry. Maybe I picked the wrong day to
give up coffee (g).

I think the assertion is that routine medical care will save costs over
waiting for a full blown emergency. I didn't run the numbers on this
myself, but I think the assertion is plausible.

Plausible but not likely in real life. The Robert Wood Johnson
Foundation put together a white paper on the subject
(http://www.rwjf.org/files/research/0...preventivecare
..brief.pdf). They found Preventive services can reduce the prevalence of
a targeted disease or condition and help people live longer, healthier
lives. Most preventive care does not result in cost savings, however,
because costs to reduce risk factors, screening costs, and the cost of
treatment when disease is found can offset any savings from preventive
care. Additionally, living longer means people may develop other
ailments that increase lifetime health care costs.
The other problem is that most of the studies showing cost
effectiveness of these program are skewed by the fact that most
participants are compliant with regimens. In real life, you are very
lucky if you get 50% of the people to comply with treatment. There was a
study late last year showing that even if you gave the medicines away,
you still did not get anywhere near full participation. You can offer
any preventive services you want, but if the people aren't forced to
participate, the savings to the system will be minimal and possibly even
more expensive depending on uptake.
The easiest medical concern to prevent is obesity. Just teach them
early not to eat so much. It has been a part of the school cirriculum
(both medical and elementary) for years. How well is that preventive
program working out???