Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Weird speaker problem

On 24/02/2012 06:59, pepebuho wrote:
Hi I have a weird speaker problem. These are the speakers of a mini
stereo system.

The speakers are kind of old. We are talking 10+ years.

Generally they work fine. But if I somehow touch/move the table
where they are resting, they turn off. Nothing I do (shake, move,
vibrate) wil make them turn back on. But if I just turn up the
volume, eventually they come back to life. I can lower the volume
back to its former level and they continue working normally like
nothing happened.

What could it be? Other than that, the speakers sound fine. I
thought about a loose/broken wire somewhere but I do not see how
turning up the volume would fix it in such a way that lowering back
the volume does not "unfix" it.

It seems too weird even for google.

It's a high resistance contact somewhere. You haven't given enough
information for a more accurate diagnosis but my guess would be that
there is an output relay or a connector with either tarnished or worn
(low pressure) contacts. Turning up the volume allows the increased
voltage to break down the insulating layer for a while.

Giving a make and model might be helpful

Ron