Benjamin T. Kindt

Default Pen Turning Initial Shopping List - Updated and Revised based on inputs

First of all, thank you so much to everyone for taking the time to
provide such well considered, specific guidance. Based on the input
everyone has provided, here is my revised shopping list:

JET 708351VS/JML-1014VS Variable Speed Mini Lathe, $299 (plus $25 off
at Amazon this month). I'm not sure if VS is that important, but I
thought I'd go for it rather than regretting not getting it later.

JET JML-S Adjustable Mini Lathe Stand, $119.99. I thought about
hammering together a quickie 2x4 and plywood work station, which was
much appreciated advice, but I think I'm still going with the stand.

Woodcraft, 3-Piece Pen Turning Chisel Set, $39.99. This looks like a
much more reasonable generic starter HSS set.

Mandrel Set #2 MT, Penn State, $15.70

EEE-Ultra Shine Paste Wax, Penn State, $14.35
Shellawax Cream, 300ml Jar, Penn State, $20.55. The whole topic of
finishing seems to be one with the most diverse opinions. I figure
I'll start with this set and experiment with others as I go.

Sandpaper, various grades, price TBD

End Mill / Barrel Trimmer, price TBD

Multi-Size Drilling Guide: $15.95, Penn State. This looks like a
quick way to get started drilling using a hand drill instead of a
drill press. Hopefully it won't totally be a gimmick.

CA glue, price TBD

Drill bits

Plus wood blanks and pen kits.

New item: Some way to keep my turning tools razor sharp. Any advice
in this area would be much appreciated.

Later purchases: Bench-top drill press; band saw; disk sander; table
saw; dupicator attachment for lathe... the list goes on...

Thanks again, all!

Ben

(Benjamin T. Kindt) wrote in message . com...
Hi,

I'm about to make the plunge into the pen turning hobby, and I thought
I'd post my initial shopping list here to get some feedback. Am I
going overboard? Am I forgetting anything important?

Many thanks in advance. Here's my list:

JET 708351VS/JML-1014VS Variable Speed Mini Lathe, $299 (plus $25 off
at Amazon this month). I'm not sure if VS is that important, but I
thought I'd go for it rather than regretting not getting it later.

JET JML-S Adjustable Mini Lathe Stand, $119.99. I don't yet have a
good workbench, so this seems like it would work well.

JET 709160 3-Piece Pen Turning Chisel Set, $79.99

Mandrel Set #2 MT, Penn State, $15.70

EEE-Ultra Shine Paste Wax, Penn State, $14.35

Shellawax Cream, 300ml Jar, Penn State, $20.55

4 Grit Sandpaper set, Penn State, $19.95

Plus wood blanks and pen kits. I figure I'll start with pre-drilled
blanks so as to save on the cost of a drill press. I have access to a
bandsaw if needed as well.

Thanks again!

Ben