Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark[_30_] Mark[_30_] is offline

Default More ado with phishing..

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:05:35 +0000, Clive Page
wrote:

On 23/02/2012 14:44, Tim wrote:
Life is just *way* too short for me to do this at least 10 times a day. I
feel sorry for pensioners and net newbies who get caught by these scams but
I very much doubt that end recipient reporting is the way to go about
dealing with these.

Reluctantly, I agree.

The other problem is the stupid behaviour of financial institutions.
For example I use Nationwide Building Society, who have a perfectly
sensible domain name of nationwide.co.uk, but their on-line banking
system uses a different domain name (nationnet.something if I remember
correctly) and when they send out mass emails these appear to come from
yet another domain. These emails look, at first sight, just like a
phishing attempt, and I was very suspicious. So I reported it to
Nationwide.

They confirmed it was genuine, so I pointed out that using any domain
other than nationwide.co.uk was simply unnecessary and stupid. I
couldn't get this simple point to be accepted by their management, and
after several rounds, I gave up. So now, all customers of Nationwide
have become used to having that institution use at least a handful of
different and unpredictable domain names, and so they won't be surprised
if the next phishing attempt involves yet another one. Sigh.

BTDTGTTS .... and left Nationwide. But they all do some things badly.

--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?