Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive Page[_2_] Clive Page[_2_] is offline

Default More ado with phishing..

On 23/02/2012 14:44, Tim wrote:
Life is just *way* too short for me to do this at least 10 times a day. I
feel sorry for pensioners and net newbies who get caught by these scams but
I very much doubt that end recipient reporting is the way to go about
dealing with these.

Reluctantly, I agree.

The other problem is the stupid behaviour of financial institutions.
For example I use Nationwide Building Society, who have a perfectly
sensible domain name of nationwide.co.uk, but their on-line banking
system uses a different domain name (nationnet.something if I remember
correctly) and when they send out mass emails these appear to come from
yet another domain. These emails look, at first sight, just like a
phishing attempt, and I was very suspicious. So I reported it to
Nationwide.

They confirmed it was genuine, so I pointed out that using any domain
other than nationwide.co.uk was simply unnecessary and stupid. I
couldn't get this simple point to be accepted by their management, and
after several rounds, I gave up. So now, all customers of Nationwide
have become used to having that institution use at least a handful of
different and unpredictable domain names, and so they won't be surprised
if the next phishing attempt involves yet another one. Sigh.

--
Clive Page