Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default Digital Scales, Recalibration?

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message ...

snip

I wouldn't put anything that wasn't simple, rugged and foolproof in line
with a long cable under heavy tension and then stand next to it. Once a
cable eye clamp I was testing let go and dumped all my gear hard on the
ground, knocking the crystal off the Dillon's dial indicator. For testing I
now place the equipment on card tables and connect it between two big
trees. There are tow straps loosely attached to the gear to prevent it from
whipping in my direction if it breaks.

jsw

So far I'm leaning toward something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1DVPD9Q368DLM

I figure I can make a link with the same dimensions hole to hole as the
scale. This way I can use the scale to tension the lines, mark the
turnbuckles, loosen, replace scale with metal link, and adjust turnbuckles
to bring the tension back. I figure the scale will stretch a little under
the tension, if needed I can measure scale hole to hole with 170 lbs
tension. I like that design of scale because I should be able to use
couplers with pins that will fit the scale.

Some of the cheapie Chinese scales appear to be able to be calibrated at
different weights. I was going to paste a link to a video showing
calibration procedure but my internet connection is so slow I can't play a
video right now.

I have a Chinese scale that I can play with. If I figure out the milivolts
per volt of their load cells (assuming they use load cells) I can see what
values it lets me calibrate to. For example, my scale is 60 lbs capacity
IIRC, if I can get the correct millivolt input with perhaps a 1000 lb load
cell will it let me calibrate to 1000 lbs or is it programmed internally to
only work for a 60 lb scale? It would be an advantage for the manufacturer
to not have to change electronics for whatever range of scale they used it
for.

I will have ropes on the tower (small tower ~30' or so) for supporting while
I get the guy wires installed. Also I plan to use a plumb bob in the center
of the tower to get it adjusted vertical. I plan to tie my ropes in loops
so I can untie and remove from tower without climbing. I'm wanting to have
this tower hinged so I can lower it for service and raise it back up again
with a (gin?) pole and winch.

RogerN