Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes Mike Barnes is offline

Default Idle fun for net hackers..

Tim Streater :
In article ,
Mike Barnes wrote:

The Natural Philosopher :
Tim Streater wrote:
In article
oups.com,
NT wrote:

On Feb 23, 3:01 pm, 82045 wrote:
On Feb 23, 2:13 pm, Jim K wrote:

was poor Richard directly responsible or had his domain been
hacked by
miscreants?

If "poor Richard" has been hacked receipt of 1000 mails a second
might
make him more careful with his system security in future.

More likely poor Richard doesnt have a clue what's going on, and will
simply have to abandon the email addy altogether.
The OP said that Richard was running a mail server.

He was running a web server to gather phished data.

In which case if he
set that up, he should know better. If he didn't, and he's just a
bot, then 1000 mails a second should fill his disk up PDQ and the
machine will fall over.

Look it seems that people don't actually understand this scam.

A letter arrives. It appears to come from - lets say - customer-

One giveaway is it isn't addressed directly to you, by name.

It tells you to click on the attached html form and fill it out.

Do I understand you correctly, that some e-mail clients will accept
an
HTML form and enable you to complete and submit it without it being
displayed in your browser? That sounds scary. I ask because my mail
client won't do anything like that, I'm sure.

No, there is an attachment to the email. You are encouraged to open it
and if you do your browser does so and runs it as a local file. It will
be a very good facsimile of some bank or other (I've had Barclays and
NatWest in the last few days) and it asks for all your bank details.
When you click submit your browser sends all that to the phisher.

I see, thanks. So, nothing like an address in your browser window that
tells you that the form didn't come from a trusted domain.

--
Mike Barnes