Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Frame

"Stephen B." wrote

Based on Carl's previous numbers I would tend to agree that it should be
sufficient.

My gut says it's good to go, but approaches strain at 350# on center beam,
and redlines at 500#. I have a 497# atv that will be a test lift, and
deflection noted. Perhaps even put in vertical temporary stiffener whenever
lifting more than 350#.

I would personally move the angles out until they are
over the edges of the containers (opening up the 140 deg apex and leaving
the height about the same).

It's all 3 x 3. The reason I brought them in is that is the point of
attachment to lift the boat, the biggest thing I'll lift.

This will deliver the load from
the center I beam to the containers directly instead of just stiffening
the middle of the cross bars. Leaving the "boat hooks" mid span on your
cross bars should not be a problem. I am sure you would think of it, but I
would also weld 4 stops to the cross bars so they can not slide across the
roofs of the containers.

Better than that, four base plate structures will be welded to the tops of
the containers to receive the ends. NO CHANCE OF MOVEMENT ONCE IT IS WELDED
OUT.

--
Stephen B.

Thank you for your comments.