Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Idle fun for net hackers..

Mike Barnes wrote:
The Natural Philosopher :
Tim Streater wrote:
In article
oups.com,
NT wrote:

On Feb 23, 3:01 pm, 82045 wrote:
On Feb 23, 2:13 pm, Jim K wrote:
was poor Richard directly responsible or had his domain been
hacked by
miscreants?
If "poor Richard" has been hacked receipt of 1000 mails a second
might
make him more careful with his system security in future.
More likely poor Richard doesnt have a clue what's going on, and will
simply have to abandon the email addy altogether.
The OP said that Richard was running a mail server.

He was running a web server to gather phished data.

In which case if he
set that up, he should know better. If he didn't, and he's just a
bot, then 1000 mails a second should fill his disk up PDQ and the
machine will fall over.

Look it seems that people don't actually understand this scam.

A letter arrives. It appears to come from - lets say - customer-

One giveaway is it isn't addressed directly to you, by name.

It tells you to click on the attached html form and fill it out.

Do I understand you correctly, that some e-mail clients will accept an
HTML form and enable you to complete and submit it without it being
displayed in your browser? That sounds scary. I ask because my mail
client won't do anything like that, I'm sure.

No, clicking on the form WOULD have invoked my browser and looked like I
was logging in to my bank. And after pressing the button, would have
taken me TO my bank, and possibly even logged me in there as well. I
didn't try it!

BUT may login details would have been stolen on the way.