Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More ado with phishing..

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 22:20:29 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

What's it got to do with the server?

You reject at the SMTP level, the message body doesn't get transfered
as the connection is rejected before that stage. A real MTA will keep
trying and eventually bounce the message back to the sender. Spammers
tend to only try once, so even simple grey listing can be quite
effective in reducing spam and how much bandwidth you use.

And read the FAQs to see WHY having your OWN spam filter wastes

YOUR
bandwidth.

snip
I have been busy setting up my own mail service so I don't have to

use
an ISPs one and well over 50% of the incoming email is now being
rejected

Didn't you say above that this is a waste of bandwidth? ducks

Something seems to have been lost in the translation. B-)

As you are aware, if you rely on spam filtering after you have
downloaded the body and something turns out to be spam you have
"wasted" that download. If you check at server level you can trap out
a lot of (in my case most) spam before you download it.

--
Cheers
Dave.