Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More ado with phishing..

Tim Streater wrote:
In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 14:44:57 +0000, Tim wrote:

I'm sure that if the will (and the money) existed, 99.9% of them

could be intercepted at server level.

Very little spam arrives in my inbox I think the last bit was about
two weeks ago. The junk mail folder (sorted by Spam Assasasin) has 14
messages in it since the begining of the year. If I look in the logs
I see around a couple of attempts an hour to send me stuff that gets
rejected at the SMTP level. So yes spam is easy to intercept at the
server level. But doing the blacklist lookups etc adds server load so
the big providers are reluctant to do much checking.

What's it got to do with the server?

A hell of a lot.

at least 50% of pure spam never reaches your mailbox.

If it comes from blacklisted mail senders.

*I* get to decide whether mail is
spam or not. What is spam for me may not be for you. A good spam filter
is trainable, but it has to be trained by the end-user.

Have a look at what most of the ISPs use - www.spamhaus.org

And read the FAQs to see WHY having your OWN spam filter wastes YOUR
bandwidth.

I have been busy setting up my own mail service so I don't have to use
an ISPs one and well over 50% of the incoming email is now being
rejected because

- its addressed to users (in domains I own) that do not and never have
existed.
- its coming from IP addresses DIRECTLY to my server that are known
'Dial up' type blocks, and therefore should ONLY be sending mail via
their ISP's relay.
- its coming from other IP addresses that are blacklisted as spam
originators.

That still leaves me with about 20 messages a day that do get by that
are spam.

Actually, since midnight, 23..