Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Riddle (and now: personal responsibility)

On Feb 23, 12:33*pm, "Robert Green"
wrote:
"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" wrote in ...

In article ,
*Gordon Shumway wrote:

Do you really expect us to believe that farm laborers, doing

poorly-paid
jobs that Americans WILL NOT DO, are making enough money to pay taxes?

Why not? I pay taxes on what I earn, so should everyone else.

and those illegal aliens do, unless their employer is paying them under

that
table...in which case he should be deported

Good point. *But I don't think Gordon gets it, living way out there in space
with Alf on Planet Melmac. *It turns out that the "E-verify" system has
driving much of the farm labor "underground." *That means the laborers
probably don't even make minimum wage or have any other legal protections
afforded to most other US workers. *Yet they still come here to work. *It's
abundantly clear from what's happened in California and elsewhere that rich
growers *depend* on low-paid immigrant labor and fight tooth and claw to
preserve their access to it whenever they can. *It's typical that
hatred-driven people want to throw out all the laborers that put food on
their table without a single thought as to who will do that work when they
are gone.

As I recall Bush 43 proposed a system where guest worker passes
good for 3 years would be available so that those that are coming
here illegally now instead be documented and work legally.
As usual, it was all the liberals who were dead set against it,
so it never happened.

I remember vacationing in Florida at the time. I ran into two
guys that owned a restaurant in Iowa. They were complaining
about how hard it was to find English speaking help for
the kitchen and how they were using illegal Mexicans. I asked
then what they thought of Bush's guest worker program.
Their response - "That's just EXPLOITATION!". That's right
these guys, bleeding heart liberals who were using the
illegal Mexicans were calling the Bush proposal exploitation.

You have any relatives that own restaturants in Iowa, Bob?