Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "14-Year-Old’s Game-Changing Solar Power Design"

On Feb 22, 7:39*pm, chaniarts wrote:
On 2/22/2012 5:33 PM, wrote:

On Feb 22, 7:10 pm, Harry *wrote:
On 2/22/2012 8:25 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

Hugh * *wrote :

Does this concept actually work? **** if I know but I'd rather have a
freestanding 'solar tree' in my yard than a bunch of solar panels
bolted to my roof.

No.

The amount of energy that can be collected by an array of solar collectors depends on the size of
the array. Ten thousand 5cm-square solar "leaves" won't harvest any more energy than five panels
1x5 meters.

The "tree" arrangement is almost guaranteed to harvest considerably *less* energy than an array
of flat panels bolted to your roof, because the amount of energy harvested also depends on the
angle of the panel(s). An array bolted to the roof can (and should) be adjusted to the proper
elevation to maximize the energy gain, whereas the angles of the "leaves" cannot be.

Is an asphalt shingled roof much more difficult/expensive to replace
when it has solar panels bolted on it?- Hide quoted text -

Depends on your definition of much more. *They just
fasten to the roof with brackets so there isn't all that
much involved in interaction with the roof itself.
You'd have to remove
the panels, remove the brackets, then re-install. *That
typically would require a contractor that installs solar
systems to do that portion of the work. *It might also
require using the original contractor to maintain a
warranty. *If I had to take a guess, I'd think it could
run $1500 or so for the panel work. *But if they have
you over the barrel because you have to use the
company that installed it, then who knows.

on a shingled roof, they're just screwed down to the decking.

unscrew a leg, slide out the old shingle, slide in the new one, screw
down, cover with tar. do one leg at a time. done.

on my flat foam roof, they're attached to the trusses. they had to dig a
hole in the foam, attach, then refoam and recoat. recoating is just
spraying a new layer of elastomeric.- Hide quoted text -

Are you suggesting that as the method when you're
replacing the whole roof?