Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Pin Nailer review.

On 2/22/2012 10:27 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 07:23:25 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

I just used mine today, pinning the back of basement shelving unit on.
The HF also shoots slightly headed pins as well as staples. The first
two I managed to shoot through the side of the case. This
seldom/never happens with nails. I only had a 3/8 rabbit for the
back, and if your not used to using the nailer because you seldom use
the damn thing, it's easy to miss where the nail will go the first
couple of shots.

Echo that. I have had that very same thing happen to me. Just don't use
the nailer enough to be instinctive with it and it's easy to send a nail
someplace besides where you really wanted it.

When aim counts, hold a couple pieces of scrap together, put a single
pencil dot on one, put the tip on that, fire once, and look at the
relationship. Now you know precisely how far away from the tip the pin
comes out.

Good advice. When I pinned the face frame on the shelves, I forced
myself to shoot a practice shot into scrap wood, and it went exactly
where I aimed it. I think with the back I was not just not careful, I
also angled the gun a tad to make sure it didn't come out inside the
case. Of course, it came out outside the case. That of course ****ed me
off so I angled it a tad the other way, and of course, it came out
inside the case. After I was done being stupid, all was well.

Anyway, it's just some utility shelving for the garage the wife wanted,
and I made it out of scrap stuff, so wasn't too worried. I may never
shoot another pin through the side of a case, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I never shot a nail through the side of anything before I got this air
gun:-) They are a bit too much fun to use, and I find myself looking for
things to nail when one is in my hands.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com