Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jk jk is offline

Default "Why do you have a right to your money?"

Hawke wrote:

Yeah, but don't you think the average guy who applies himself and works
hard ought to have a pretty high level of prosperity considering this is
the richest country in world history?

Just look at what it used to be like here back in the fifties when it
comes to income distribution. It was much more equal. The country's
wealth is far more unequally distributed now.

Can you support that statement. I am NOT saying you are wrong, I just
don't think there is evidence to support it.

I think there is certainly a PERCEPTION that the wealth is
concentrated in fewer hands, but is it really.

I think that perception is driven by media.

OTOH I am quite sure there are far more millionaires today, than
there were in the 50's, but a million bucks ain't what it used to be.

That is wrong in my book.
Way too much money is concentrated in too few hands. As a political
scientist

You forgot to put that first word in quotes. If it isn't
quantitative, it isn't science.

I see that as a threat to the political system and to
democracy. Too much wealth in the hands of too few is a recipe for a
corrupt country and regime.

There are all kinds of reasons why a more equal wealth distribution
would be better for most Americans than what we have now. I really don't
see any argument you could make why 1% should be in control of most of
any country's wealth.

In the past that almost always leads to a
revolution. Is that what you want?

Oh really? When, Where?
I can think off hand of two cases where that probably was seen as one
of the causes of the "revolutions" but a half dozen or so where
similar distributions did NOT lead to revolutions.

In both of the first cases, the regimes revolted against were also
totalitarian.

Hawke

jk