Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Digital Scales, Recalibration?

"Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)"
wrote in message

Small towers it isn't all that critical, as long as they are tight
and
the tower is straight vertical - Very Hard on the mast if the guys
are
tensioned unevenly making it bend like a banana.

I would rig the digital scale in one of the three guys at the bottom
level to get 170 Pounds tension, then pluck the guy wire and note
the
tone of the "Ping" that will correlate with length and tension. Get
Guitar Tuner or microphone/pickup and a Frequency Counter if you
want
to be pedantic.

Then take the tension scale out of the wire and reassemble the
thimbles and turnbuckle, tap with a wrench, and "Tune" all the guys
at
that level to the same note. Done.

Repeat for the second, third, (fourth...) sets of guy wires attached
higher up on the mast.

-- Bruce --

Though this may not apply to you, the guy lines on my 50 foot TV
antenna mast run over pulleys on a suspended ring at the top and down
to rope cleat tie-offs at the base. I can sight up the mast to pull it
straight.

Since it telescopes the guy line tension is only a few pounds to
minimize the thrust on the base-mounted rotator and the lift.

jsw