Posted to uk.d-i-y
hugh hugh is offline

Default Joining motorways

In message , dave
writes
On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 16:30:10 +0000, hugh ] wrote:

In message , djc
writes
On 20/02/12 21:31, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 16:16:56 -0000, Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:

There used to be a very short and dangerous slip on to the south-west
bound A12 from Witham south. It was recognised as a major problem and
has now been completely changed.

There is a very short slip road, no hard shoulder, on a bend, in a
vertical concrete walled motorway in the center of Leeds. By very
short I mean about 50 yds of Give Way line.

There are several like that on the autostrada through Genova. In one
short space between one tunnel-through-a-mountain and another they not
only cram in a slip road but a service area €”not so much a slip road as
a T-junction. I would rather venture round the Paris Périphérique in a
wet winter evening that Genova at any time.

M6 Jn 15 Northbound - and it's on the inside of a left hand curve just
as the road switches from downhill to uphill.

Google Earth this
52°31'48.09" N 1°43'45.23" W
A pathetic piece of motorway design on the M42. The right of the fork
goes to the M6 toll - the left "middle" continues the M42 East and the
extreme LHS goes god know's where. I have lost count of the number of
cars swerving right to left due to this fork in the middle of a
motorway! It is very dangerious. A lage sigbn could be placed at the
actual point of the split but that would make it safer. It looks as if
it has been designed this way to ensure that as many motorists as
possible mistakenly take the right fork and end up having to pay the
toll. Try this at night - better still, at night in the fog.

Yes I agree. Many prats go over to the right hand lane although they
intend to go up the M42, just to try to save a few seconds and in heavy
traffic end up blocking the lane on to the Toll.
--
hugh