Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Vertical Mill - $300 Craigslist

On 2012-02-21, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

There are a lot of gears & other metal parts needed to repair HP &
Tektronix that are NLA. It could make a good side business for someone
with better & more tools than I have right now.

Something to consider. Depends on how the making of the
double-D broach goes.

Interesting that of the gears in that Tek plugin, the one that
failed was a plain spur gear, and most of the others (which are still
available) were either bevel gears, or combination bevel and spur gears.
The only still available spur gear is the long one.

I know the owner of one cal lab, and a guy that buys and resells test
equipment with an industriaal building full. I'll give you their
information if you are able to make the parts.

The only one that I currently *know* that I can make is that
gear at the switch end, and so far I need the old hub to mount it on.

I *know* that I can't make the bevel gears, or the mixed
bevel/spur gears which are in that assembly. Those really need to be
cast/molded.

I should be able to make the long spur gear, but is is highly
unlikey to fail in my opinion.

[ ... ]

I've always wanted to go there, but never made it.

It was about an hour from my house, but even then I couldn't go every
year.

At a half hour, I would not be able to resist. :-) However, from
Northern VA, it is a bit far, especially back when I was expected at
work after the weekend. :-)

[ ... ]

If you get into the Sun machines, this site will be useful. It
is an online version of the last FEH (Field Engineer's Handbook), which
used to be available in dead-tree format.

http://www.sunshack.org/data/sh/2.1.8/infoserver.central/data/syshbk/index.html

Thanks. I've only seen two Sun computers in this area, but who knows
what will turn up?

While I have ten of them of various ages running in this room
alone. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564