Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Bath Sink Faucet removal

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 13:17:26 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Feb 22, 2:02*pm, "
wrote:
On Feb 22, 1:58*pm, chaniarts wrote:

I have a pair of bathroom sinks with the same faucets installed.

http://www.designtool.kohler.com/us/...sp?item=227602

and a matching tub faucet.

one valve stem appears to be leaking, as water comes out the top just
under the T-bar across the top. the tapered piece is screwed onto a
threaded insert, but about 1/2" up from the base where it abuts the sink.

of course, we have extremely hard water and it's probably full of
mineral deposits, because i've been working for a couple days trying to
get it off.

there's nothing to grab onto because of the taper. i've been smacking it
with a hammer trying to vibrate it a bit to break it loose. there's no
way to get vinegar into the inside threads. i've tried putting vinegar
soaked towels around the bottom, to try to hold some acid in, but
there's a pretty good seal on the bottom (there's no water leakage out
the bottom from the leak).

i've managed to get a single non-leaking one off (out of the 6) so that
i could see how it's constructed. these are original to the house, about
10 years, installed by the contractor. there is no other mechanism (such
as setscrews) holding the valve cover on besides the (very fine) threads
on the inside of the cover.

i've tried rubber coated gloves to get a grip on the tapered section.
the T handle can't be used as a lever arm, because it's slipped onto a
ridged part of the top of the valve, and the valve is of course not
moveable.

is there some special tool that can be used to grab something like this
part (tapered, polished chrome) or do i have to destroy the village to
save it? that would be a major expense, having to then destroy all the
others that aren't coming off to replace all 3 sets, along with ripping
a hole in the tiled wall to get to the tub deck (since the d*mn
contractor didn't leave an access hole to get to the bottom of the tub
faucets).

thanks,
charlie

You might be able to grab it near the top using a
small strap wrench. *Harbor Freight has a set
of 3 of them I think for $10. *Or you could buy
one at HD, etc.- Hide quoted text -

You can pick up rubber padding that goes under rugs to keep them from
sliding around. The specific kind I use is an "open weave" and fairly
thin, not solid and bumpy, like some pads.

Here's a picture from Overstock.com:

http://ak2.ostkcdn.com/images/products/L11996906.jpg

Great for preventing objects from sliding, but not really a "pad".

I have various sized pieces of that product for gripping objects that
I need some extra grip to loosen. Much better than rubber gloves.

It also works great to prevent tie-down straps from sliding on
irregularly shaped objects. I use them in my trailer - that was what
they were originally purchased for, but I found they make great
grippers too.

I just used a piece to open a glass jar that I had stored paint in
years ago. The cap was stuck on pretty solid until I used the pad.

In a pinch, cut a piece of leather from an old belt and use common
pliers. Wrap it around the finish needing protection, then turn.

Worked for me on a shower head...

+ 1 on the rubber strap wrench.