Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default I must be getting better at WW...

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

Well, last night I prepared the following "bid" (pdf file on my web
site):
http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

Well - I don't believe you should be charging for the drill bit Bill.
Owning or purchasing the necessary tools is just part of providing the work.

You'll note that "what I charged for the work"--$22, is less than the
cost of the drill bit. Don't mistake me for someone really wants to do
this job--I've already had enough of it! ; )

I did not realize this thing had to be so large. The cost of the materials
is what it is, so there's nothing you can do about that. Did they spec Red
Oak? I have not priced Red Oak around here lately, but the price on your
sheet kind of shocked me - seemed quite high to me.

I thought it was high too, but I got my prices from Lowes.com. The 1"
dowels at Lowes.com were either Popar or Red Oak, so I made my choice
and followed from there. I could build a "solution" for less than $15
just like everyone else. When I was in my midteens, I build a 6'
"box-hockey" game that folded in half. It was enjoyed by lots of my
neighborhood friends for a summer. It didn't have a lot of
"craftsmanship", but it was fun to play. Heres the basic layout:

------------------------------------------|
| || |
| || |
| |
| || | |
|| |
| || |

| || |
| || |
| || |
| |
| || | |
|| |

You sit on yer butt to play. Each player got a hockeystick-shaped
paddle and took turns hitting the
"puck" toward the oppponents goal. Players take turns and if getting
through a middle opening, get another turn. First to a specified number
of goals (7, 11, 15?) wins. There was a small bit of wagering. Of
course, you can fight about whether the puck makes it through or not.
And the "faceoff", off the center of the 3" high middle part, is sort of
dramatic: 1 and-a ::click:: 2 and-a ::click:: 3 and-a ::click:: GO!! : )