Posted to rec.woodworking
Ralph Compton Ralph Compton is offline

Default I must be getting better at WW...

For what it's worth, I have picked up a few tools over the years by
explaining to my wife that in order to do what she wants I have to have a
certain tool. My wife taught elementary school for close to 30 years and
all the projects that she, and some of the other teachers, wanted me to do
allowed me to add to my tool collection. And I got to play around in my
workshop. And the other teachers really envied that my wife had such a
talented husband. :-) And my wife was delighted and happy. And life was
good.

Ralph

"Bill" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
On 2/21/2012 9:34 PM, Bill wrote:

On her drawing she wrote for me to "save my receipts" (for
reimbursement). That almost feels insulting, but this is a good friend
of my wife's so I'll do a decent job. I know she meant well.

Won't you need to fill up your vehicle before going after materials?
Save you receipts! ;~)

Well, last night I prepared the following "bid" (pdf file on my web site):

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

And I left it on the counter for my wife to see (and maybe take to work).
But instead she wrote ***Nevermind*** on it, and, after talking with her
so far, she has a not so very understanding attitude about it.
My wife said she was thinking maybe $25 total, and so far, I'm the "bad
guy".

It occurred to me that a disk/belt sander might be very helpful. I think I
need one of those things! In the new issue of Shop Notes (Vol. 21, Issue
122, p. 7), they show to use a disk sander and jig to put a nice uniform
bevel on the top of a dowel. I assume the sander would leave a reasonable
result on the end grain and surely it will help me to get the dowels to
uniform length (lacking a TS, I would saw them with a good-old,
old-fashioned hand saw).

Grizzly comes to mind as a place to look for a disk/belt sander. Comments
about such a tool are welcome. I've never used one, but it seems like it
would be a great tool for "taking off corners" and such.
Can I tell my wife that "I'm the only one on the newsgroup that doesn't
already have one! sniffle"? : )

Have fun!
Bill