Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_3_] Hawke[_3_] is offline

Default "Why do you have a right to your money?"

On 2/21/2012 12:44 PM, wrote:
On Feb 21, 2:46 pm, wrote:

I think most people believe that those that put in real effort to get
money such as actually studying in high school and then going to
college to prepare themselves for a good job deserve to make more
money than those that slide through high school and do not go to
college.

Dan

Wake up, man! We're talking about real wealth here and who has it. Let's
take two examples of real wealth. The two Koch brothers are worth 20
billion a piece minimum. They inherited that money. Then look at the
Walmart family. Six members of that family have more wealth than the 150
million Americans of the lowest level of wealth. So between the six
Waltons and the two Kochs you have eight people with more wealth than
half the people in America and you know they didn't earn it. You look at
that wealth disparity and start talking about effort and jobs and high
school and college. How out of touch are you?

Hawke

Well you may be talking about real wealth of a very few people, but I
am talking about the vast majority of people. I knew kids in high
school that worked at learning and other kids that just did enough to
get by. I think it is fair that those that studied make more money
than those that coasted.

I knew engineers that worked at being current in engineering and other
engineers that thought that the company ought to have courses to keep
them current. Guess who were the more productive engineers. And
somehow the more productive engineers got bigger pay raises than those
that wanted the company to teach them the advances in engineering.

I know a number of people who volunteered to go to a satellite
tracking station in Alaska because they got an additional 20 % more
pay. Was it fair that they got more pay just because they worked in
Alaska? I think it was. It was only a fifty mile trip on a gravel
road to get to town.

I know an engineer that did a lot of the work of building a house
while he still worked as an engineer full time. He was able to use
his savings to get the house so it could be lived in and avoided
having to get a mortgage. He then saved the amount that would have
gone to a mortgage and invested in some land and stocks. He is now a
multi millionaire. Is that fair? That he has millions just because
he was willing to work 60 hour weeks?

I know these people. So who is out of touch?

You are talking about a very small percentage of the population that
inherited money.
I am talking about a much larger number of people who put in a lot of
extra effort and now are a lot better off than. And you think it is
fair for them to pay a lot more in taxes than those that did not apply
themselves in school and did not make any effort to put money away.

Dan

What did I say that would make you think that I don't think that people
who do more or work harder don't deserve to get more in return for
putting out more than others do? I call that fair. You do more you
should get more. I'm saying that principle isn't in operation very much.
Too many people are getting gigantic pay where it's not warranted and
lots of people work very hard and get crap for pay. It's the disparity
between the 1% and the working people that I'm talking about. That's
what is screwing up the country not the minor things you just mentioned.

Hawke