Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default How to figure out a 3-way switch wiring?

In ,
typed:
In my mother-in-law's house there were some very old wall
switches that were 3-way. I needed to replace them for
what safety reasons. So I picked up a couple of Leviton
3-ways from the HOME.

I replaced them connecting the red/white/black wires to
the same terminals as the old one on both ends. Problem
is - only one switch controls the power. Kind of defeats
the purpose of the 3-way.

So, before I go crazy trying to figure this out with a
meter and a long jumper wire I thought I would ask here
for some guidance for an easier way to figure this out.

Anyone??? Thanks

Look it up on google or your fav srch eng