Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Digital Scales, Recalibration?

"RogerN" wrote...

I'm wanting to make a display for load cells, ...
Anyone here done anything like this? RogerN

What I had in mind was to make a 10:1 lever divider for a bathroom
scale mechanism so it would read to 3000 Lbs instead of 300. I haven't
dissected one to figure out the specifics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steelyard_balance

You could set up an unbutchered bathroom scale with a lever to confirm
a modified one or calibrate a homebrew cell.

The problem with a lever is frictional hysteresis. I would try needle
bearings and take the average of the reading with the load increasing
and decreasing. A strong spring deflection element like the Dillon
avoids it. On a stationary test setup you could let the pin of a chain
shackle roll on the lever bar.

The Dillon's gain can be adjusted by rotating the hexagonal plug with
the ramp, the zero by moving the indicator stem clamp or the dial
scale ring,
http://wagner.securesites.com/produc..._xc_dillon.jpg

Here's another geometry if you can find some thick-walled tubing,
perhaps a scrap hydraulic cylinder.
http://2.imimg.com/data2/WO/ST/IMFCP...pg-250x250.jpg
Make it too long and adjust by shortening it.

jsw