Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Metal theft. The biters bit

In message 4f44f04d.97428390@localhost, at 14:02:51 on Wed, 22 Feb
2012, Cynic remarked:
On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:43:09 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

Such a strategy has its downside. Not just playing whack-a-mole with the
Royal Mail redirection, but until you've settled somewhere three years
getting credit is more tiresome.

The sort of people being discussed in that scenario will not *have* a
credit rating that needs protecting.

That's typecasting tenants a bit, isn't it?

We were discussing tenants who *you* stated were being forced to move
frequently because they were being harrassed by creditors.

No, I was only talking about being on the receiving end of dilapidated
fixtures and fittings.

Thus that is the subset of tenant I was referring to.

So most of the rest you wrote is at cross purposes

How many people and
organisations communicate with you by snail-mail these days?

A hundred or so (plus Xmas cards).

If you are not going to communicate with a person before next
Christmas, I really don't see why you would want to receive their
Christmas card.

Because they often include a "family newsletter" that's our main way of
keeping in touch. It's also a common way for them to tell me about a
change of address.

If you need to impress visitors with how popular you
are, buy some cards yourself to hang up, or use last years' cards.

This Xmas I didn't hang any up.

How many of your "hundred or so" people and organisations that you
claim communicate with you by snailmail (seems extrordinarily high) do
you actually *want* to receive mail from?

Pretty much all of them. I can think of one catalogue company that won't
take "no" for an answer, but the rest are quite welcome, albeit often
only an annual statement of some kind.

To reach that figure, I assume you are including all the junk mail you
receive. Do you *really* want the post office to redirect offers from
double glazing companies and book-of-the-month clubs?

I get almost no addressed junk mail. Perhaps that's because I opt out of
the electoral roll public list and never fill in questionnaires (not
that I get many).

But address these days isn't so much to mail you things, but part of
your online "identity". eg The address you quote has to match the one
they, or Experian or whatever, have for you.

You will no doubt have informed your bank, utility companies and every
other organisation that you have current financial dealings with.

Yep, that's where a lot of the 100 people come from. It's amazing how
they mount up (I just signed up for four different railway ticket
smartcards, so that's another four to keep updated).

--
Roland Perry