Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 6 ohm speakers - uprate to 8 ohm?

thirty-six wrote:
On Feb 21, 8:20 am, Ian Jackson
wrote:
In message
,
thirty-six writes

On Feb 20, 5:38 pm, Bill Wright wrote:
RobertL wrote:
On Feb 17, 5:33 pm, NT wrote:
On Feb 17, 4:09 pm, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
Still fettling my Akai stero system.
Base unit with tape is now working after new fuse inserted.
CD transport naffed - checked by trying on other system.
So I have decided to chuck the second partly broken stereo stack and keep
the speakers.
However, just realised that the speakers are 6 ohm, and the connectors on
the back of the amp say Speakers (6-16ohm) and Surround Speakers
(8-16 ohm).
Grr....gnarghh....there goes my plan to use the spare set of speakers for
surround speakers.
So is running 6 ohm speakers on an 8-16 ohm speaker circuit
likely to blow
the speakers or the amplifier?
Is there an easy way to uprate the speakers to 8 ohm?
No.
Well, you could simply put a 2 ohm resistor in series with each one.
Then you'd be sure not to damage the amp. Make sure the resistor can
take the power.
Why not put the speakers a hundred yards up the road? The cable
resistance would then provide the extra 2 ohms.
Top tip!
Bill
The reactance of twin wire will knock off both high and low
frequencies, due to the way negative feedback loops work, leaving the
sound more like telephone reproduction.

Care to explain (briefly)?
--
Ian

There is reactance and the amplifier responds to that compounding the
lack of linearity in what isn't a transmission line.

More gobbledygook!

cables are linear.

Diodes are non linear.

The reactance of the cable has no effect whatsoever at audio
frequencies. It is only significant at HF/RF frequencies.

The resistance, however, has both.

More proof you are a complete plonker.