Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default I must be getting better at WW...

On 2/21/2012 9:34 PM, Bill wrote:
"__ Bøb __" wrote:

On 2/21/2012 9:40 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
A few days ago my wife asked me if I had a drill press and if I could
drill some holes for some 1" dowels for a friend. I said I did and I
said I could.

Then today, she brings home a dimensioned drawing of cricket "goal
posts": Each consisting of three 1" dowels, 18" long, glued into a
laminated base 12" long.

Of course, the friend will pay for whatever materials I need (I guess
I'm supposed to go shop for the materials).

I don't mind helping--it's for a school teacher, it just surprised me
how quickly things progressed from "do I have a drill press?" to a
dimensioned drawing! ; )

Get used to it Bill. Wait until you get more tools, and develop more
skills!

What did you expect ???

I expected receipt of a board, into which I was going to drill 3
holes--a 10 minute project including cleanup!

On her drawing she wrote for me to "save my receipts" (for
reimbursement). That almost feels insulting, but this is a good friend
of my wife's so I'll do a decent job. I know she meant well.

Won't you need to fill up your vehicle before going after materials?
Save you receipts! ;~)

Question: I expect I'll use a 1" spade bit. However, I'm guessing a 1"
dowel is likely to be smaller than 1". A 7/8" spade bit may possibly
even be a better fit. I guess I'll know for sure after I see the dowels,
but I'll still listen to any voices of experience. Is there a good way
to make up for a gap if a dowel is a loose fit in the "socket"?
This thing will be knocked over on concrete often (it's for the school
gym teacher)!

Some one inch dowels are as likely to be over as under 1"