Posted to alt.woodworking,free.uk.woodworking,rec.woodworking
Michael Joel Michael Joel is offline

Default How to repair warped table top?

Paul Conners wrote:

Just a note - cupping takes place towards the moisture not away from it.

Just to clarify: the concave side is moist, and the convex side is dry?

Yes.
Table top looks like a U (not as drastic I hope). Top got wet while the
underside remained drier. When it dried out the compressed fibers
(caused be the dry side restricting even swelling of the wet side)
distort it... according to the books

As mentioned, a possible sollution is to wet it all down lay it on
stickers and put weight on it to dry.

The "proper" method for an antique is to router out the underside and
replace with hardboard. That leaves the original top surface while
providing a flat base for it. Something I probably would not have the
nerve to do.

Mike