Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I must be getting better at WW...

Bill wrote:
Lee Michaels wrote:

No dowel is completely round. If the wood is hard enough, you can
force a dowel into it. If the dowel is hard and the wood is soft,
the dowel can eventually break the wood. If you want the best fir,
drill a hole slightly smaller than the dowel. Then trim the dowel to
fit. Use some good glue and make sure everything is snug and fitted
before the glue dries.

My guess is that Red Oak is a better choice than Poplar (those appear
to be my only choices in 1" dowels) that aren't broomstick handles! It
should stand up to abuse better, correct?

A Dewalt 1" drill bit (DW1629) is about $30. I will have to checkand
see whether that is in the budget.

Go to Harbor Freight.

--

-Mike-