Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I must be getting better at WW...

Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

On her drawing she wrote for me to "save my receipts" (for
reimbursement). That almost feels insulting, but this is a good
friend of my wife's so I'll do a decent job. I know she meant well.

Why in the world would that be insulting to you Bill? It's standard
practice for a simple pay for service practice. You get reimbursed
for your materials and add whatever labor charge you elect - or do
not elect.

No, somehow they worked out that I was building it for "free", but
that my materials cost will be reimbursed.

Free is fine - whether that is at the beginner level like yourself or at the
advanced level like some of the others here. Hell - I still paint projects
for people for free and I can command $40K for a restoration. Nothing wrong
with free. The bigger problem is when we begin to feel that we are worth
something and that we must get paid for what we do. Hell - take it on,
enjoy the project, learn from it, build your tool inventory, and feel good
about it when it's done. This is not a contract to build a bedroom suite.
Don't let yourself get ahead of yourself Bill. Just take it on and enjoy
the work, and learn from it.

--

-Mike-