Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I must be getting better at WW...

Bill wrote:

I expected receipt of a board, into which I was going to drill 3
holes--a 10 minute project including cleanup!

You have a long way to go Bill. This person has neither the knowledge nor
the capability, and you expect them to deliver you the materials? Not gonna
happen. Your three holes would probably have turned into a 20 post thread
here, so the 10 minute thought is moot anyway. Just go get the materials
and show your wife and her friend how cool you and your new drill press
really are. Hell - enjoy that thing now that you own it!

On her drawing she wrote for me to "save my receipts" (for
reimbursement). That almost feels insulting, but this is a good
friend of my wife's so I'll do a decent job. I know she meant well.

Why in the world would that be insulting to you Bill? It's standard
practice for a simple pay for service practice. You get reimbursed for your
materials and add whatever labor charge you elect - or do not elect.

Question: I expect I'll use a 1" spade bit. However, I'm guessing a 1"
dowel is likely to be smaller than 1". A 7/8" spade bit may possibly
even be a better fit. I guess I'll know for sure after I see the
dowels, but I'll still listen to any voices of experience. Is there a
good way to make up for a gap if a dowel is a loose fit in the
"socket"? This thing will be knocked over on concrete often (it's for
the school gym teacher)!

Bill - just try it!!!!!!! You will learn more by just tryingt things than
by going back to the usual asking 1,000 questions mode. You're a smart
guy - just try some things. You'll figure the simple stuff out. Best of
luck to ya!

--

-Mike-