Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lacquering metals

Gerald Ross wrote:

I have used lacquer on polished brass. The trick is to get all the
polish off Stick type metal
polishes have a grease or wax base. After the buffing you should
clean the metal with
acetone as someone has already mentioned I don't think alcohol will
cut it.

A light coat of rattle can lacquer with another coat when dry. This
will not last where the shoes rub but in general will last several
years of light use.

Lacquer will indeed work. I don't like lacquer because it does not stand up
as well as urethane clear does, but more importantly, if the conditions are
not right, it can be a pain to shoot. If the humidity is high (or the Dew
Point, or whatever...) lacquer will fog. Pain right in the butt! Urethane
clears won't do that, but they are also way more complex to shoot. You're
not going to shoot it out of a rattle can. I do use rattle cans for
somethings, but for anything that I really want a good finish on, I spend
the time to mix up and shoot out of a proper spray gun. But - you probably
don't have the ability to do that, so... ya does what works best.

--

-Mike-