Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Vertical Mill - $300 Craigslist

On 2012-02-21, Pete C. wrote:

wrote:

SNIP
Yes -- and you need a long travel arbor press (or something
else) to drive the broach. And care to make sure that the driving force
is on axis so you don't bend and snap the broach. (Better are the draw
type, but they require a different style of driver -- ideally hydraulic,
I believe.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Gretings DoN,
Regarding broaching using an arbor press, I have broached uncounted
keyways using arbor presses. Even with a good one it's possible for
the broach to start cutting at an angle. The method that has worked
best for me over the years is to start the broach, relieve the

[ ... ]

Is that using the guide bushings and shims that come in keyway broach
sets?

While I was talking about hex and square broaches, and the
bushing which I was talking about was one to hold the top end of the
broach close to on center, it also applies with keyway broaches, where
you have two bushings -- the guide bushing with the shims, and the
centering bushing on the end of the arbor press's ram. etmp was talking
about keyways apparently, I was covering it all. (BTW -- The shims are
to keep the keyway broach from needing to be two or three times as long. :-)

And the keyway broach has more meat so it does not bow as much
as a hex or square one of similar cutting area.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564