Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lacquering metals

Michael Joel wrote:
A lot of good information - gives me a lot of possible options.

The pedals are usually solid brass, or an iron with nickel or brass
plating. They generally come lacquered. But, at least for the pedals,
obviously it would seem that is more to prevent tarnish while in
storage than anything else

For the plated pedals the area the feet rest on usually is worn
through after a few years.

I guess there really is no way to protect items under such wear.

Sending them out for replating would of course only be an option for
customers with the better pianos.

Like I said - a lot to think about - a lot of information.

So - if periodic wear and re-coating is the norm and somewhat expected, then
I would highly recommend a simple automotive clear coat. I have done this
to refinish the brass handles on my house doors, and restore them to the
factory original finish. Buff them up to the desired finish but don't use
crap like Brasso. Once you have them up where you want them, clean them
with lacquer thinner or a similar solvent to rid them of any buffing
compound. Then, simply shoot clear coat over the pedal. If you don't want
to invest in or bother with the clear coat process, simply take them to any
local auto body shop and let them shoot the pedals for you - it won't cost
much and you'll like the finish. Clear will last longer than lacquer under
foot pressure, but in time will need to be recoated - but so do the factory
finishes.

--

-Mike-