Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default Finish for interior door wooden sill

On Feb 21, 12:27*pm, Jonathan wrote:
On Feb 21, 10:17*am, robgraham wrote:

Our front door is in an extension. *The connecting inside door takes
nearly all household traffic, and making a proper sill that looks
respectable is one of my now-retired tasks.

It's 150mm wide and I'm going to make it in 2 pieces of oak, one for
under the door and the other for the 100 mm wide frame.

Bearing in mind the heavy traffic which is encouraged to change it's
footwear in the hall, but er... doesn't always (!), what finish is
suggested ?

Thanks
Rob

Danish oil - easily restored with use. Oak doesn't take varnish well.

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan - that was my thinking but I was being persuaded
otherwise by the chart on this website

http://www.woodbin.com/cgi-bin/woodfinish.cgi

Lot of useful stuff on that site but it doesn't include your bit of
advice, that now I think about it I have heard somewhere in the dim
and distant past. The 'easy repair' factor of oils was attracting me.

Thanks again

Rob