Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default OT -- keeping old floppy disks

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 10:52:41 -0600, Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 02/19/2012 03:42 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 21:26:37 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

[snip]

Really. My Mo Bo doesn't even have a floppy (ribbon cable) connector
available. :-/

You can get USB 3.5-inch floppy drives. Apparently, there are none for
5.25-inch floppies.

Although I think the data transfer rate at the drive interface is 500k/s
for 3.5" HD and 5.25" HD, so if the guts of such a device are just a
standard 3.5" HD drive and an adapter between USB and the shugart
interface, then it should be possible to hook up a 5.25" drive and have
it work transparently (the cylinder counts are the same; the rotational
speed's a little different, but the interface shouldn't care)

cheers

Jules