Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Lacquering metals

On Feb 21, 10:24*am, Michael Joel wrote:
I have only tried to lacquer some metal once.

I first buffed the metal to polish it then wiped it down with
denatured alcohol to get any waxes/residue off. After the lacquer
(said it worked for metal) dried it was easy to get off. Any amount of
firm handling and it would start scratching right off.

Anyone used any lacquer to preserve a polished metal?

Mike

Not sure how it would work on metal, but dewaxed shellac
works beautifully as a sealer under lacquer on wood.