Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Storing Potable Water ..

In article ,
Nightjar writes:
On 21/02/2012 09:01, Gordon Henderson wrote:
Thanks for the replies - sounds like it's a bit of a no-brainer then. My
biggest issue now is finding one that will fit through the hatch as it's
rather small.

You can get collapsable ones for this purpose (although I never
tried using one), and of course you can use more than one and
link them together.

You can always fit two cisterns, connected at low level, provided you
arrange it so that water flows into one and out of the other.

I also don't think water "turnaround" time will be overly long either -
we can drain the current tank if we fill a bath, so a couple of showers
every day will move a lot of water through it anyway. Will go up later
today and measure it to work out what size new one to get.

It's also intersting to note what they used to use here - a large
(huge - I reckon it's at least a meter cubed, so 1 tonne of water!)
galvanised steel tank. They just left it there when some prior
owners fitted the current plastic tank... It's now full of old
loft insulation and presenting me with a bit of a problem as I'd
really like to remove it - one day!

I'd like to say angle grinder, but hiring a power nibbler is the best way.

There were several in my brothers loft (the house had at some stage
been split into flats with separate tanks, and then back into one
house). When he switched to a combi, part of the work specified was
to remove all the tanks. First problem was that several of them still
had a reasonable amount of water in them, although not connected up
for 10+ years. Having got that out, the plumber cut them up with an
angle grinder, and I do not know how he managed not to burn down the
house - apparently sparks were flying everywhere, including out of
the loft hatch and bouncing down the stairs.

--
Andrew Gabriel