Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Sometimes, you just gotta get brutal ...

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 17:38:14 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

On the basis that the job wasn't going anywhere anyway, and time had already
been spent, I decided to get brutal with it, to see if I could make the
short show its face. I turned the power supply down to about 4 volts, and
linked across the regulator. I then turned the supply back on and settled
down to wait. As it turned out, it wasn't for very long ... A cloud of
smoke and sparks shot out of a tiny little surface mount solid tantalum 1uF
cap.

Nice work!

- Franc Zabkar