Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mkoblic@gmail.com is offline

Default Red threadlocker - stronger than torque specs?

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 13:48:34 -0800, "Jon Danniken"

I don't know if this is anything like you are proposing:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...in/photostream

The double nut at the top has been replaced with a single nut held by
Loctite 262 (red threadlocker). I have had no problems so far.

I also use the 680 retaining compound (or rather its Vibratite
equivalent) on non-threaded parts and it, too, has been more than
satisfactory.

That looks to be a similar concept, even if the loadpoint is different. I
did consider the double nut approach, but I don't have the room for two
nuts, and will just be using one.

After considering red threadlocker vs. welding the nut, I have come across a
third possibility, and that is to JB Weld the nut to the threaded rod. It's
thick enough to fill in all the gaps between the threads, especially since
this is not an assembly which is intended to be threadlocked with a force
acting on the fastener.

Using JBWeld would obviously be a permanent solution, but then so would
welding (for the most part).

Just a caveat:

JB Weld is no stronger than the 680 compound (I have not tested it
against the 262). When the JB Weld fails the failure is catastrophic,
i.e. the parts are now free to rotate within each other. The 680 fails
at a certain point but retains its strength below this point.

In my applications the latter is infinitely preferable.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC