Brian in Vancouver, BC

Default sharpening planer blades

"Jakes452" wrote in
news:P3%6c.2391$Gg.1989@okepread03:

I have HSS 12" planer blades and 6" jointer blades (Hitachi). Are
these something I can sharpen myself? I was going to take to local
sharpening but they are closed on weekends. I have stones and I
looked for jigs or something meant to hold the blade properly and
could only find a $250 sharpending motorized wheel w/jig). Any URL
reference or opinion is appreciated.

thank you

I was surprised to find your post this morning as I contemplate where to
have my 6" jointer blades sharpened. I also have a 13" planer whose
blades I have not yet flipped or replaced.

I tried to hone the jointer blades in place as I saw on a TV show the
other day, but all I did was make them unusable, whereas before they gave
acceptable results but with a couple of nicks across the surface, due I
think to me edging a couple of boards that still had staples attached.

I wouldn't try sharpening them myself without a slow rotation wheel and
suitable jig such as the Tormek system at a whopping $589 US.
http://www.sharptoolsusa.com/shop/?p...e&category_id=
93d2623b12869878624c573f5722b86f

Brian